The Hungarian Health Care System

The Hungarian Health Care system can be very confusing, we made a little article where we explain the different options you have. These are basic, but important things to know when you need medical help. 


TAJ card

Hungarian Social Security Card. Anyone who has a Hungarian residence permit can apply for a TAJ card.

  • How to apply?

Depending on whether you are a scholarship holder or a fee-paying student, the process is different, find the detailed application procedure here:

  • When can I start using my TAJ card?

The application process is very long, so unfortunately you have to wait up to 3-4 months before you get your TAJ card.

  • Why is it good to have a TAJ card?

TAJ provides access to basic healthcare services such as general practitioners (GPs), specialists (e.g.: gostroenterologist, psychiatrist) and dentists. It can also be used in case of serious accidents ( ) and life-threatening emergencies ( ).

  • What else?

Having a TAJ card is free for scholarship holders and if you want to work in Hungary, you must have it.

  • What are the disadvantages?

There can usually be long waiting times and doctors may not speak English, but don’t worry, we can help with translation.

  • Whom should I contact if I need assistance/help?

Fill the contact form on the bottom of the page. Please make sure to choose the correct subject.


How to get treatment with TAJ

You need to know whether you need medical help from your GP or a specialist, who your assigned doctor is and how to contact them. Here are the differences and how to contact them.

  • What are GPs and what do they do?

GP or General Practitioner is a general doctor who is usually the first point of contact if a person has a health-related issue. After examining you, the GP can recommend the necessary therapy or send you to a specialist with a medical referral. 

  • Who is my GP?

In Hungary, GPs are assigned based on the address of the person. On the following link you can see a list where you can check to whom you belong: 

  • Who are the specialists and what do they do? 

Doctors that have extra expertise in one type of medicine or another, for example dermatologists for skin, cardiologists for heart, etc. 

  • What is a referral and how do I know if I need it?

Some specialists can be only visited with a paper called referral. After consulting with your GP, he/she can give you this paper. Clinic websites always mention whether it is necessary to have a referral or not, but to make it easier for you we made a list: 

  • How can I find specialists?

Specialists in Hungary are also assigned based on the address of the person, just like GPs. On the link below you can see a list where you can check whom you belong to:

  • Once I know who my GP/Specialist is, how can I contact them?

On the clinics’ website you can always see the schedule and contact information (phone number and email) of the doctors. You can book an appointment by calling the office or in person at the clinic’s reception. Keep in mind that you can only call them during their specific office hours.



Private Health Insurance by BME

The university has a contract with a company called Groupama, and it’s available for all foreign students. 

  • How to apply? 

  • When can I start using my Groupama insurance?

1-2 days after signing the contract, you can start booking appointments.

  • How to get an appointment?

After signing the contract, you will be given a phone number, which you can call anytime.

  • What are the advantages?

They have an English-speaking call center and they can book you English-speaking doctors that can prescribe you the right treatment or refer you to specialists, all without any additional cost. Waiting times are usually a lot shorter than the public system’s. 

  • Whom should I contact if I need assistance/help?


Other private health insurance companies

There are many private insurance companies on the market that you can sign a contract with. Search in Google to explore various insurance plans available in Hungary. There are countless choices, allowing you to find a plan that suits your needs perfectly.

Please note that having health insurance is mandatory for fee-paying students, so if you don’t have a TAJ card and you haven’t signed Groupama, this is a must for you.


Buying Medication

There are two types of drugs you can buy: Over-the-Counter (OTC) or prescribed medication.

Prescribed drugs: These are the medications that are prescribed by a doctor for a specific problem, and are intended to be used by one person. The doctor will prescribe it to your TAJ card, so when you go to the pharmacy to buy it, you must show your TAJ.


OTC: Anyone who is in Hungary and gets sick can buy these drugs without any insurance. For example people mostly get sick during the fall and winter months, and in case of mild cold or mild sickness, there is no need to go to the GP right away. Pharmacists are trained professionals, they can help a lot. If you tell them your symptoms, they will know what kind of OTC drug you will need. You can get sore throat pills, painkillers, fever medication, etc. from any pharmacy.




Contact us

If you have any questions please check the FAQ or contact us using the form below! We aim to provide answers as detailed as possible, which can take some time. Please be patient; we cannot respond immediately.

11 + 3 =