Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Click the buttons below to quickly navigate to your topic of choice!

Arrival to Hungary

If I arrive later in the month, can I still register?

It is possible. You will need to fill out and submit a form in Neptun. For more details, please refer to this link.

How do I know if I have a permanent accomodation and where is it?

If you received a letter stating that you have been granted a dormitory space, then it’s Visit hotel. Please note, you will be required to complete a mandatory quarantine for either two weeks, or as long as it takes to get Covid test results.

Will there be mentors at the airport when I arrive?

If you would like a mentor to greet you at the airport and guide you on your first trip to the city, send an email to with details of your arrival.


How can I apply to a dormitory?

Be patient, the university will send detailed information over the summer about how to apply in the current term/year.

What kind of dorms does the university have?

The university currently rents Visit Hostel at Moricz Zsigmond Ter for SH students.

Can I pick my roommate?

There are very few opportunities for this initially, however during the course of the semester you are allowed to switch rooms once, if there is free space or if you find someone that agrees to switch places with you.

Can I pick the dorm in which I stay?

No, you are assigned to a dorm based on where there is free space.

What if I decide I don’t want to live in a dorm even though I’ve already been accepted?

Unfortunately, this is not possible.

Do I get a place to stay while I look for a residence or private dormitory, in the event that I didn’t get a place in the dorm?

In very few cases there are opportunities for a one-week temporary residence, but not during Covid and you should not count on it and should plan on finding another temporary accommodation while you look for a more permanent residence.

If I get a space in a dorm, how long will I have a spot there?

Everyone gets the dorm place for one semester, after which they can apply to stay in the space again.

Who can apply for dormitory residence?

All Stipendium Hungaricum and SCY scholarship holders, except for PhD students. They have evolved beyond sleep.

What happens if I don’t get space in a dorm?

In this case you have to arrange your own living situation, either renting an apartment or a room, or moving into a private dormitory, but the university helps out with 40,000 huf per month for rent.

How much do private dormitories cost in Budapest?

Depends on the room and number of beds, but from 60,000-90,000 HUF.

How much does it cost to rent a room in Budapest?

The prices vary wildly since there are a lot of factors, but generally from 80,000 to 100,000 huf including everything.

How much does it cost to rent an apartment in Budapest?

It depends a lot on location, but generally from 120,000-250,000 huf including everything.

If I’m not a first year anymore, what determines if I get a spot in the dorms?

Allocation of spaces are determined by student’s academic performance. The university sends information on how to apply each semester after you get you cumulative grade point average (the minimum score depends on the department), and you will get the result of your application before the next semester starts.

What’s the average cutoff for getting a space in dorms?

It changes every year, but the university will send students the cutoff every year in july, depending on their faculty.

When will I know if I got a space in the dorms?

The university will notify you sometime around the middle of August.

What determines the cutoff grade to get a space in the dorms?

This depends on a lot of things, such as how many new students arrive, how many spaces they need, how many people want to move out, how many people are graduating and moving away, and what the average grade is in your faculty.

What to include in your emails to ?

We will not answer your emails if you do not have the following data in them:

  • your full name
  • Neptun code
  • type of scholarship (SH, SCY, etc.)
  • your level of studies (BSc, MSc, or PhD)
  • accommodation type and room number (apartment, private dorm, Visit)
We are renting a flat together. I decide to move out. Do the others have to pay my part of the rental fee too?

It depends on your agreement. The most common case is that the owner signs one contract with all of the tenants, in which you agree that tenants will pay the whole rental fee together. In this case yes, the whole rental fee of the flat must be paid every month in any case. However, if the Lessor has individual rental agreements with all of the Lessees, everyone has to pay according to his/her own contract regardless of any action.

How can I terminate a fixed-term agreement earlier?

If you have a fixed-term agreement, but you would like to quit earlier, you can do by mutual consent or by an extraordinary notice. In a mutual consent Lessor and Lessee can agree anyhow, but Lessors are usually not so motivated in it. In case of an extraordinary notice, Lessee must give a signed copy of his/her notice to Lessor. After lessor got it, there is a period of notice, which is usually 30 days but it can be different according to the agreement. For this period Lessee must pay the rental fee. In addition, Lessor gets the security deposit as well.

Immigration Office

Can I work in Hungary with a residence permit for study purposes?

Yes, you can, but only in limited hours. Third-country nationals holding a residence permit for the purpose of studies may engage in any full-time occupational activity during their term-time for maximum twenty-four hours weekly, and outside their term-time for a maximum period of ninety days or sixty-six working days in a year.

How do I know the type of my VISA?

How can I renew my residence permit?

At least 1 month before your residence permit would expire, please submit your renewal application online: 

The procedure lasts around 2-4 weeks.

TAJ Card

How do I know that my TAJ card is ready?

The Central Academic Office will send a Neptun message and an email to you, that your card is ready, and you can pick it up.

Where can I pick up my TAJ card if it is ready?

You can pick up your ready TAJ cards on the ground floor of building R, in open office hours.

CAO office hours

On the clientboard please press Student ID and TAJ management.

I missed to apply for the TAJ card, how can I get it now?

If you have each of the documents below, you can send an email to to start the application for your TAJ card:

(1) an application form,

(2) a copy of your passport (valid for at least 3 months),

(3) a copy of yourresidence permit card (both sides, valid for at least 3 months),

(4) a copy of your address card (both sides, stamped by the Immigration Office),

(5) an original student status certificate from the CAO that was issued no longer than 30 days ago (can be asked for through the ‘E027 Request for a certificate’ request in Neptune),

(6) your Letter of Award (a document that proves that you are receiving a monthly stipend),

I’ve already applied for the TAJ card, but I couldn’t find my name on the list. When will my TAJ card be ready?

You can find information related to this problem here:

My TAJ card has expired. What should I do now?

Please keep in mind that the expiration date of your TAJ card is usually the same as that of your residence permit. Also, to renew your residence permit you must have valid health insurance, so you should start the process by renewing your residence permit before your TAJ card would expire! Once you have your new residence permit (not a temporary one!), please send us an email to to renew your TAJ card.

My data on the TAJ card are wrong. What can I do to correct it?

You have to go to the OEP office in person with an ID of your correct name and they fix it for you. The address is 1139. Budapest, Teve utca 1/A-C.

Where can I go to a doctor?

Please, send an email to and the mentors will help you find a doctor.

I have a Social Security Number in Neptun, so when can I pick up my TAJ card?

This does not mean, that you have a TAJ card, only that a number was generated for you and entered into Neptun. That is an inactive number, until the office in Győr accepts it, then they print your card and you can pick it up in building R. If you already have a number in Neptun, it is 1-2 more weeks approximately, to have your card.

Medical problems

What should I do if I need to see a doctor?

You should write an email to

  • If you have a TAJ card, please refer to this page.
  • If you do not have a TAJ card but you signed Generali private insurance, you can call them. Please refer to this page for more information on Generali.


How to visit a dentist?

If you have a TAJ card, please refer to this page. Please note that the TAJ-card only covers basic dental treatment, such as examination, filling, treatment of palate problems, removal of tartar, etc. It doesn’t cover more expensive and complex things (orthodontics, false teeth, root canal treatment, etc.).

If you do not have a TAJ card but you have Generali private insurance, you can call them, however, only emergency dental treatment is covered by the insurance. Please refer to this page for more information on Generali.


Is it possible to postpone the beginning of my studies?

It is possible to postpone exclusively because of health issues or unexpected reasons through no fault of his/her own. If there is such a major case, some kind of proof (i.e. a medical certificate) must be submitted to the Study in Hungary Unit of Tempus Public Foundation, together with a written request. The host higher education institution and the Sending Partner must also approve of the postponement. Those students who have already arrived in Hungary and enrolled in a higher education institution are not entitled to request any postponement.

Are SH students entitled to use the health services of the Hungarian social service system?

Yes, they are. As scholarship holders, they are entitled to healthcare services and the services of their additional health insurance, of which they can receive detailed information here: and at his website: Please be aware that these health services are not provided automatically, you need to file an application!

Can approved scholarship holders travel to Hungary?

Yes, they can. However, they must have a valid residence permit or visa to be able to enter the country. To stay up-to-date with the latest updates on preventive measures by the Hungarian government, please refer to 

Is dormitory placement still available for SH students?

Except for one host institution (National University of Public Service), all international students are entitled to remain on the premises of their student residence (dormitory, student hotel). The National University of Public Service is currently working on finding accommodation for its students.

Do the rules of the operational regulations apply now?

Yes, they do. Should there be any changes because of the emergency situation, TPF will inform all scholarship holders immediately.

How can students keep themselves updated about the current situation?
Are the Hungarian borders closed?

Yes, they are. However, individuals with a strong reason can enter the country. You must have a valid residence permit or a visa if you travel to Hungary. You must also be able to prove that you are a student here. To stay up-to-date with the latest updates on preventive measures by the Hungarian government, please refer to 

If the situation does not normalise until then, what happens to students who were to graduate this June?

As the organization of the study programmes falls under the authority of the higher education institution concerned, all matters related to the timing of the exams and graduation are to be discussed with the host universities. In general, according to the operational regulations of the programme, SH students may request the extension of their scholarship holder status. This applies to all, except for PhD students and those who have already extended their studies; in their case, TPF is open to participate in any kind of discussion and is willing to compile suggestions about the possible solution for the matter.

What financial contribution will the students who remain in Hungary receive?

In case they stay in Hungary, SH scholarship holders will continue to receive the benefits provided by the programme: contribution to their housing and living expenses, health insurance, and the additional health services.

What financial contributions will those who leave Hungary receive?

If the scholarship holders leave the territory of Hungary, they can do so upon informing their host institution. If they are absent for more than 30 days, they will lose their right to their living and housing allowance until their return, as these allowances are intended to contribute to their costs of living in Hungary. They do not lose their scholarship status. In addition to the above, scholarship holders have the option to suspend their studies (passive semester), through the procedure set out under Section 45 (2) of the Act on National Higher Education 204/2011. During the passive semester, scholarship holders are not entitled to the financial contributions provided by the programme.

Can I spend my mandadtory quarantine in the dormitory?

No. You must find an alternative accommodation for the time of the quarantine.

Are there any programs during the pandemic?

We are organising online events regularly. Follow our Facebook page and our calendar to stay up to date with the latest events.