Issuing Your Tax Identification Number (Tax Card)

This is an official guide from IMT on requesting your tax ID at NAV (National Tax and Customs Administration)

1. Why do I need a tax ID?

Scholarships in Hungary are not taxed, which means that scholarship holders no longer need to have a tax ID to get their monthly stipends. However, if you have a legal job, you will be required to pay income taxes after it (which is done automatically in Hungary, so you don’t have to worry about it luckily). However, the tax authority needs to have your personal details attached to an identity number, and this is why you must have your tax ID if you want to work while studying.

To use the tax ID in Hungary, you don’t necessarily have to possess a tax card, knowing the number is enough. Also, the tax card and tax number don’t have an expiration date, so you never have to renew them.

2. How to apply?

Necessary documents

You need to bring your passport and a copy of its identity page.

You will also need to fill out a data sheet with all your relevant information. You can find the datasheet here.

Regrettably, the datasheet is only available in Hungarian at the moment, so we have prepared a template for you.


If you wish to apply, you should visit the central tax office; its address is 1097 Budapest, Vaskapu u. 33-35. You can visit them without an appointment during their office hours. 

Business hours:

  • Monday 8:30 – 18:00
  • Tuesday 8:30 – 12:00
  • Wednesday 8:30 – 18:00
  • Thursday 8:30 – 12:00
  • Friday 8:30 – 11:30

Tax office

Contact us

If you have any questions please check the FAQ or contact us using the form below! We aim to provide answers as detailed as possible, which can take some time. Please be patient; we cannot respond immediately.

10 + 2 =