To do list and possibilities for graduated students


Congratulations on graduating!


How to make your diploma Apostilled?

If you would like to use your Hungarian diploma in your home country or any other country, you have to go through an administrational process in order to legalize your degree. You can learn about the legislation procedure here.


If you do not want to stay in Hungary after your studies:

You must leave the country after your graduation date, as your residence permit is only valid as long as you have an active student status. This active student status ends on the day when you receive the leaving certificate (absolutorium), unless you have been previously accepted into a higher level program (master’s or PhD). In case you continue on with your studies, please contact your faculty beforehand to ensure your continued student status.

Remember to also close your Hungarian bank account, and transfer any remaining funds over to an account from your destination country!

Regarding anything else, you have nothing more to do but to find your way home! We were happy to have you, and see you next time!

In case your residence permit expires before the Graduation Ceremony, you can request a Residence Permit for Other purposes for the time until you receive your diploma. For this, please visit the Immigration Office in person. You can check their address and opening times here.


If you do want to stay in Hungary after graduating:

After graduating from BME, you are no longer eligible for a student residence permit. Hence if you are planning on staying in Hungary, you need to apply for a different residence permit. We have collected the most common types of residence permits for graduated students below.