Lost or stolen Residence Permit


1. Report the case to the Police.

A) If you are in Budapest, contact any of the police stations (under Kapitanysagok) on this link.
B) If you lose your residence permit outside Hungary, you should report the case to the nearest Police station. In order to return to Hungary, you need to contact the closest Hungarian Embassy or Consulate to request a Certificate. Alternatively, you will need to apply for a D-type visa, just like you did when you first came to Hungary

2. Visit the Immigration Office for Student Residence Permits (1135 Budapest, Szegedi ut 35-37), and apply for a new residence permit. Due to COVID-19, you must book an appointment to be able to go there!


– Police Report
– Valid Passport
– Photograph
Completed Form (Application for the Replacement of your residence document): upon filling the form, please make sure to tick the “I am exempt from fees” checkbox, otherwise, you will be obliged to pay the application and service fees! 

– FOR TUITION FEE-PAYING STUDENTS, there is a procedural fee of 10.000 HUF, which must be paid in duty stamps (in Hungarian: ILLETEKBELYEG, available in any post office).