Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Arrival to Hungary

I’ll arrive on 13/9/2020 to Budapest airport. I need to ask if this is ok with the university to join late and what should I do as soon as I arrive?

Go to your quarantine address, and register for covid tests through the university!

If I arrive later in the month, can I still register?

It is possible, don’t worry!

How do I know if I have a permanent accomodation and where is it?

If you received a letter stating that you have been granted a dormitory space, then it’s Visit hotel. Please note, you will be required to complete a mandatory quarantine for either two weeks, or as long as it takes to get Covid test results.

Will there be mentors at the airport when I arrive?

Not this year, due to Covid.


How can I apply to a dormitory?

Be patient, the university will send detailed information over the summer about how to apply in the current term/year.

What kind of dorms does the university have?

The university currently rents Visit Hostel at Moricz Zsigmond Ter for SH students.

Can I pick my roommate?

There are very few opportunities for this initially, however during the course of the semester you are allowed to switch rooms once, if there is free space or if you find someone that agrees to switch places with you.

Can I pick the dorm in which I stay?

No, you are assigned to a dorm based on where there is free space.

What if I decide I don’t want to live in a dorm even though I’ve already been accepted?

Unfortunately, this is not possible.

Do I get a place to stay while I look for a residence or private dormitory, in the event that I didn’t get a place in the dorm?

In very few cases there are opportunities for a one-week temporary residence, but not during Covid and you should not count on it and should plan on finding another temporary accommodation while you look for a more permanent residence.

If I get a space in a dorm, how long will I have a spot there?

Everyone gets one year, ending on August 15th next year.

Who can apply for dormitory residence?

All Stipendium Hungaricum and SCY scholarship holders, except for PhD students. They have evolved beyond sleep.

What happens if I don’t get space in a dorm?

In this case you have to arrange your own living situation, either renting an apartment or a room, or moving into a private dormitory, but the university helps out with 40,000 huf per month for rent.

How much do private dormitories cost in Budapest?

Depends on the room and number of beds, but from 60,000-90,000 HUF.

How much does it cost to rent a room in Budapest?

The prices vary wildly since there are a lot of factors, but generally from 80,000 to 100,000 huf including everything.

How much does it cost to rent an apartment in Budapest?

It depends a lot on location, but generally from 120,000-250,000 huf including everything.

If I’m not a first year anymore, what determines if I get a spot in the dorms?

Allocation of spaces are determined by student’s academic performance. The university sends information on how to apply in July, and you will get the result of your application in August.

What’s the average cutoff for getting a space in dorms?

It changes every year, but the university will send students the cutoff every year in july, depending on their faculty.

When will I know if I got a space in the dorms?

The university will notify you sometime around the middle of August.

What determines the cutoff grade to get a space in the dorms?

This depends on a lot of things, such as how many new students arrive, how many spaces they need, how many people want to move out, how many people are graduating and moving away, and what the average grade is in your faculty.

What to include in your emails to ?

We will not answer your emails if you do not have the following data in them:

  • your full name
  • Neptun code
  • type of scholarship (SH, SCY, etc.)
  • your level of studies (BSc, MSc, or PhD)
  • accommodation type and room number (apartment, private dorm, Kocsis, Visit, Visit2)

Immigration Office

Can I work in Hungary with a residence permit for study purposes?

Yes, you can, but only in limited hours. Third-country nationals holding a residence permit for the purpose of studies may engage in any full-time occupational activity during their term-time for maximum twenty-four hours weekly, and outside their term-time for a maximum period of ninety days or sixty-six working days in a year.

How do I know the type of my VISA?

How can I renew my residence permit?

At least 1 month before your residence permit would expire, please submit your renewal application online: 

The procedure lasts around 2-4 weeks.

I missed the application for the TAJ card, how can I get it now?

We normally organize visiting hours for TAJ application once every month. You can check our visiting hours for TAJ application here:

TAJ Card

How do I know that my TAJ card is ready?

The Central Academic Office will send a Neptun message and an email to you, that your card is ready, and you can pick it up.

Where can I pick up my TAJ card if it is ready?

You can pick up your ready TAJ cards on the ground floor of building R, in open office hours.

CAO office hours

On the clientboard please press Student ID and TAJ management.

I missed to apply for the TAJ card, how can I get it now?

We normally organise visiting hours for TAJ application once every month. You can check our visiting hours for TAJ application here:

I’ve already applied for the TAJ card, but I couldn’t find my name on the list. When will my TAJ card be ready?

You can find information realted to this problem here:

My TAJ card has expired. What should I do now?

You must apply for a new TAJ card by submitting all of the necessary documents again AND the expired card. Check our visiting hours:

My data on the TAJ card are wrong. What can I do to correct it?

You have to go to the OEP office in person with an ID of your correct name and they fix it for you. The address is 1139. Budapest, Teve utca 1/A-C.

Where can I go to a doctor?

Please, send an email to and the mentors will help you find a doctor.

My application was denied, because my residence permit expired. What should I do?

If you are on a list where next to your name there is a problem, (ex: residence permit expired, without residence permit) then you only have to rectify your application. That means that you have to bring the required document to one of the visiting hours for TAJ application. (For example in case of residence permit expired, please bring a copy of your VALID residence permit.) You can check our visiting hours for TAJ application here:

I have a Social Security Number in Neptun, so when can I pick up my TAJ card?

This does not mean, that you have a TAJ card, only that a number was generated for you and entered into Neptun. That is an inactive number, until the office in Győr accepts it, then they print your card and you can pick it up in building R. If you already have a number in Neptun, it is 1-2 more weeks approximately, to have your card.

Medical problems

What should I do if I need to see a doctor?

You should write an email to Please briefly explain your medical problem and write your exact Hungarian address. Please also write if you have a valid TAJ-card or not. Based on these information the mentors will inform you about the doctor you can visit and the visiting hours. If the doctor doesn’t speak English, the mentors will also help you get an appointment and accompany you at the doctor’s office.
Please keep in mind a few basic things:

  • In the Hungarian healthcare system the most important doctor for you is your local General Practitioner („Háziorvos”). Everyone belongs to a specific GP based on the address, and if the situation is not really urgent, you need to visit him/her at first (unless you specifically know your problem, e. g. you need a dentist). After examining you, the GP will send you to a specialist on your problem with a medical referral or give you a prescription for medicines. Most GPs don’t require pre-booked appointments, you can go there any time during visiting hours (sometimes the last hour is reserved for specific patients).

A) If you live in VISIT 1 dormitory  (Vásárhelyi Pál utca 2-4.) and you need to see your GP, you have to write an email to

    B) If you live in CORVIN dormitory (Üllői út 52/b) and you need to see your GP, you have to write an email to – this doctor doesn’t speak English:

    • Name: Dr. Vámosi Péter
    • Address: 1085 Budapest, József körút 36.
    • Office hours: Monday, Wednesday: 15-19 and Tuesday, Thursday: 8-12 and Friday: 15-19 (odd weeks) 8-12 (even weeks)
    • If you want to see a doctor when your GP is not available (e. g. on most weekends), you can go to the closest doctor on duty („Ügyelet”) – there is one in each district. Here you cannot know who will examine you, and you might have to wait for a long time – so you will definitely need a mentor’s help (or someone who can translate to Hungarian).
    • If you feel really bad or you’re seriously injured, you have to go to the emergency of the closest hospital („Sürgősségi”). In this case you will also need a mentor’s help (or someone who can translate to Hungarian).

    Please don’t forget to take your TAJ-card, your residence permit and your address card when visiting any doctor!

    How to visit a dentist?

    Please note that the TAJ-card only covers basic dental treatment, such as examination, filling, treatment of palate problems, removal of tartar, etc. It doesn’t cover more expensive and complex things (orthodontics, false teeth, root canal treatment, etc.).

    This means that you have a local dentist based on address (just like the GP) – but they only do the basic things, if you need complex treatment they will send you to a private specialist. To visit your dentist you always need an appointment: it can be booked by phone at the dentist’s assistant. As most assistants doesn’t speak English, you will probably need some help to do it – in this case you can write us to If you write a mail please always include the following information: your name, your address, the problem in a few words (need filling, etc.) and the time periods that fit you.
    Here you can find the data for the dormitories’ local dentists:

    A) If you live in VISIT 1 dormitory  (Vásárhelyi Pál utca 2-4.) your dentist is the following:

    • Name: Dr. Gedő Gabriella
    • Address: 1117 Budapest, Fehérvári út 12.
    • Phone: +36 1 279 2182
    • Office hours: Monday, Wednesday: 8-14 and Tuesday, Thursday: 14-20 and Friday: 8-14 (even weeks) or 14-20 (odd weeks)
    • English speaking: YES

    B) If you live in CORVIN dormitory (Üllői út 52/b) you don’t have a local dentist. District number 8, where Corvin is located, has a special situation as dentists are not distributed on address. Instead, everyone can go to the dental clinic of Semmelweis Medical University, where they will accept you with the TAJ. If you visit the reception personally, you might get treatment immediately if there is a free doctor, or they will give you an appointment. The address is: 1088 Budapest, Szentkirályi u. 40 and they mostly speak English there.


    Is it possible to postpone the beginning of my studies?

    It is possible to postpone exclusively because of health issues or unexpected reasons through no fault of his/her own. If there is such a major case, some kind of proof (i.e. a medical certificate) must be submitted to the Study in Hungary Unit of Tempus Public Foundation, together with a written request. The host higher education institution and the Sending Partner must also approve of the postponement. Those students who have already arrived in Hungary and enrolled in a higher education institution are not entitled to request any postponement.

    Are SH students entitled to use the health services of the Hungarian social service system?

    Yes, they are. As scholarship holders, they are entitled to healthcare services and the services of their additional health insurance, of which they can receive detailed information from the host institution.

    Can approved scholarship holders travel to Hungary?

    At the moment Hungarian borders are closed. TPF will be providing scholarship holders with relevant information with regards to their travel to Hungary and the start of their studies in due time. The respective legal guidelines shall be decisive at all times.

    Are the conditions for distance learning in place?

    Based on the information received from the universities, SH scholarship holders are provided with the opportunities and measures of distance/e-learning with the same conditions as Hungarian students, thus the continuity of the studies of scholarship holders are guaranteed during the spring semester of the 2019/2020 academic year, regardless of their current place of stay. However, as the implementation of online/distance study programmes is the responsibility of the host institution, further details can be provided by them.

    Is dormitory placement still available for SH students?

    Except for one host institution (National University of Public Service), all international students are entitled to remain on the premises of their student residence (dormitory, student hotel). The National University of Public Service is currently working on finding accommodation for its students.

    Do the rules of the operational regulations apply now?

    Yes, they do. Should there be any changes because of the emergency situation, TPF will inform all scholarship holders immediately.

    How can students keep themselves updated about the current situation?
    Are the Hungarian borders closed?

    Yes, they are, from 16 March 2020. Only Hungarian citizens will be granted access.

    Can approved scholarship holders travel to Hungary?

    At the moment Hungarian borders are closed. TPF will be providing scholarship holders with relevant information with regards to their travel to Hungary and the start of their studies in due time. The respective legal guidelines shall be decisive at all times.

    If the situation does not normalise until then, what happens to students who were to graduate this June?

    As the organization of the study programmes falls under the authority of the higher education institution concerned, all matters related to the timing of the exams and graduation are to be discussed with the host universities. In general, according to the operational regulations of the programme, SH students may request the extension of their scholarship holder status. This applies to all, except for PhD students and those who have already extended their studies; in their case, TPF is open to participate in any kind of discussion and is willing to compile suggestions about the possible solution for the matter.

    What financial contribution will the students who remain in Hungary receive?

    In case they stay in Hungary, SH scholarship holders will continue to receive the benefits provided by the programme: contribution to their housing and living expenses, health insurance, and the additional health services.

    What financial contributions will those who leave Hungary receive?

    If the scholarship holders leave the territory of Hungary, they can do so upon informing their host institution. If they are absent for more than 30 days, they will lose their right to their living and housing allowance until their return, as these allowances are intended to contribute to their costs of living in Hungary. They do not lose their scholarship status. In addition to the above, scholarship holders have the option to suspend their studies (passive semester), through the procedure set out under Section 45 (2) of the Act on National Higher Education 204/2011. During the passive semester, scholarship holders are not entitled to the financial contributions provided by the programme.

    Are there any programs during the pandemic?

    We are organising online events regularly. Follow our Facebook page and our calendar to stay up to date with the latest events.