Greetings from Budapest, Hungary! We are pleased to welcome you to the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) for the fall term of the 2022/2023 academic year.
The following letter contains important information related to your stay in Hungary:
- Arrival to Hungary
- Accommodation options in Budapest
- Your scholarship and its worth
- All necessary official steps as a Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship holder
- The International Mentor Team (IMT) and other useful contacts.
1. Arrival to Hungary
As of March 7, 2022, the entry restrictions have been lifted, and it is possible to enter or leave the territory of Hungary according to the general (non-emergency) rules. You can find more information about it on the website of the Hungarian Police, here.
The following steps are needed to enter Hungary.
- Apply for a D-type visa if you need it.
- Buy traveller’s health insurance to cover any medical costs (very important)
- Fill out the “Arrival to Hungary” questionnaire.
As the semester begins on the 5th of September 2022, you should plan to arrive between the 22nd of August and the 1st of September, because of the registration period.
More information about registration, requests and education: https://kth.bme.hu/en/
Please note: your Acceptance Letter says that Martos Dormitory is your temporary accommodation. However, this is written only to help you with your visa application, not because you can stay there. Consequently, please do not even attempt to check in there after your arrival, because they cannot host anybody.
The university can only provide dormitory placement for a limited number of students. For everyone else, the Tempus Foundation grants you an extra 40.000 HUF (appx. 100 EUR) as a monthly accommodation allowance on the top of your regular scholarship. If you wish to live in a university dorm, we would like to kindly ask for your patience, because the webpage and the system for the dorm registration have not been completely established yet. Dorm registration will take place in August, and the university will inform all of you as soon as it is ready. Do not worry, you will not miss anything.
Dorm places are awarded based on your admission points to the university (and not a first come, first served basis). Hence, it does not matter when you submit your application, as long as you do so before the deadline, which will be announced later. Even if you receive a place, you cannot move into your room before the 25th of August. Once you have applied for a dormitory placement, you can cancel your application until the 4th of September. We will have more information about the process to register for the dorm as the date comes closer, we will notify you as soon as possible.
Furthermore, we would like to inform you that by requesting a dormitory place, you agree to the following terms:
- You receive your place for a fixed period: from moving in – until 2023.01.31. During the semester, you are not eligible to swap your dormitory place for the accommodation allowance.
- When moving in, you must sign a tenancy agreement with the dormitory, which also counts as a contract. A System Policy and the House Rules are included in the tenancy agreement, and you are obliged to follow them.
- You are allowed to stay in the dormitory ONLY if you have an active status at BME. You must move out within 10 days once you are no longer an active student (i.e., you graduate, complete all the necessary criteria to have your state exam, decide to interrupt your studies, or go on a passive semester).
Please note that PhD students are not eligible for dormitory places.
If you wish to rent an apartment, Tempus Foundation grants you an extra 40.000 HUF/month (approx. 100 EUR) as an additional contribution to your accommodation expenses on the top of your regular scholarship. During your flat search, you may experience a language barrier with some apartment owners. IMT is ready to help you get through this issue.
For further information, please visit our website.
3. Scholarship payment, cost of living in Budapest
As a Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship holder, you will be receiving around 43.700 HUF (~ 110 EUR) every month. The planned pay-out days are available on this page. However, you should keep in mind that the university cannot transfer any money to you until you have the following data uploaded and approved on the Neptun system:
- Hungarian address
- Hungarian bank account number
Arranging the abovementioned official documents can take up to 2 months. Consequently, we strongly suggest that you come prepared with funds enough to sustain you for the first couple of months of your stay. Also, the university cannot make payments outside the planned dates.
To make your planning easier, we have collected standard costs of living, which may vary depending on your lifestyle:
- Accommodation: from 150 EUR/month for a bed in a shared room, or from 300 EUR/month for a 1-bedroom flat,
- Utilities (water, gas, electricity, common costs): 80 – 120 EUR/person/month,
- Public transportation: 10 EUR/month for students (only with a student ID!),
- Food: 150 EUR/month if you cook for yourself, 500 EUR/month if you live on takeaways and eat out most of the time.
4. Compulsory official steps
- If you are travelling with a D-type visa, you are obliged to have your residence permit within 30 days of crossing the borders of the Schengen Area. The Mentor Team is organizing on-campus application appointments every week in September and October. There will be more information about it later.
- If you are travelling without a D-type visa, you are obliged to have your residence permit within 90 days of crossing the borders of the Schengen Area. In this case, please register on the website of the Immigration Office and upload all the required documents there. There is a detailed guide about the process on these pages [link1, link2].
- Please be aware that you can only stay in Hungary on legal terms if you have your residence permit, so it is an essential official step! The residence permit is also necessary for many other official steps, such as applying for a TAJ card (Hungarian health insurance card). Therefore, it is crucial to start the application process as soon as you have your accommodation.
- TAJ card (Hungarian national health insurance):
- Once you have received your residence permit, it is crucial that you apply for a TAJ card! Having a TAJ card, and thus access to public healthcare in Hungary, can truly save lives! It is free for you to get, and very important to apply on time, as the application procedure can take a few months. The application procedure is available here.
- Private health insurance:
- Make sure to sign the private health insurance contract too! This option is a free private insurance, which can be lifesaving in case you need medical attention, but you are having issues with your TAJ card! We strongly suggest applying for the private insurance as soon as it becomes available! The application procedure is available here.
- International Mentor Team
The International Mentor Team (IMT) is a student organisation at BME. We offer you a helping hand with your official duties at the beginning of your stay. Furthermore, IMT organises community activities such as game nights, movie nights, hiking trips and so on, to make the best of your stay. If you have any questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact us!
You probably noticed that the links above mostly lead to the same website, which is our official website. It covers practically all aspects of your official duties and many more! We strongly recommend reading through its pages before your arrival and also before contacting us. You will probably find suitable answers to your questions, sometimes hidden in the FAQ. You can find useful contact details both for us and for other university officials on this page.
Make sure to also check your email and our Facebook group, we’ll send out monthly updates about programs and events that we’re going to be organizing for you!
You can also follow us on social media. We have a YouTube channel, an Instagram page and please make sure you join our community on Facebook group to connect with your classmates, find relevant up-to-date information and get updated about current events.
BME IMT Mentors